If you’re close to me, you know that I am NOT a fan of bread or pasta. I think this started with the brainwashing we all experienced during the Atkins & Southbeach Diet craze. My mom and sister went low carb immediately (and lost a million pounds), but I had always eaten carbs and worked out, and somehow managed to lose weight, look good & feel great.
Well thanks to you ‘low carb phase,’ you finally got the best of my mind and I haven’t been the same since.
Good news is, I’m back to eating healthy carbs like sweet potato, quinoa pasta & Ezekiel bread. And I do love me some staple high-carb dishes, one being Spaghetti. So, I make it my mission to find healthy ways to satisfy my guiltiest of pleasures.
Enter the SPAGHETTI SQAUSH.
It looks like noodles, it tastes (kind-of) like noodles & it does the job well. Plus it’s ALL veggie & a powerhouse when it comes to benefits:
- Fiber, fiber, fiber: You’ll get 9% of the recommended daily intake of dietary fiber
- Nutrients: Vitamin C (10% of daily recommended intake), A, K, B-6, Potassium, Calcium, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folate and Pantothenic acid.
- Low-Calorie/Carb: 42 calories and 10 carbs in a 1-cup serving
So, how do you make this super delicious dish you ask?
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- Vegan or organic butter
- Garlic powder
- EVOO or Coconut Oil
- Trader Joe’s Italian beef meatballs (I love their turkey meatballs too!)
- Trader Joe’s organic garlic marinara
- Parmesan Cheese
Prepping Spaghetti Squash
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Cut spaghetti squash in half. Use a large, sturdy knife as the outer layer of the squash if very hard & thick.
- Once open, take a spoon and scrape out the middle strings & seeds.
- After cleaning up the spaghetti squash, place face up on a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle EVOO or Coconut Oil, salt pepper and garlic powder on squash.
- Place in oven for 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle EVOO or coconut oil in sauce pan.
- Throw broccoli florets & diced onion into pan. Sprinkle a pinch of salt, pepper & garlic powder. Saute until soft.
- Once veggies are cooked, add in marinara sauce and simmer on low for 5 minutes.
- If you’re using Trader Joe’s Italian Meatballs, all you need to do is throw them in the microwave! Obvi, there are better ways to heat them up, but this recipe is a juggling act & the microwave seemed like the easiest option 🙂
- Heat 6 meatballs (or however many you’d like) on high for 4 minutes.
Putting it all Together
- Once spaghetti squash is done cooking, take a fork and scrape spaghetti strings from the full squash onto your plate. At this point, the spaghetti squash should be soft enough to make this process easy.
- Add a teaspoon of butter (optional).
- Top with sauce (marinara, onion & broccoli).
- Finish off with a sprinkle of Parmesan Cheese.
This recipe was seriously the BOMB.COM. I even sent some leftovers with the beau to work today. Fingers crossed he likes it too 😉
Let me know if you try this recipe & how you liked it!
Enjoy, ladies & gents. And, HAPPY HUMP DAY!