Nom nom nom.
As most of you know, I’ve been down & out with a really pain-in-the-ass back injury. We’re talking serious pain meds, muscle relaxers + no working out. So basically, I’m being forced to take western medicine, which I despise, and have to give up my favorite activity that not only keeps me healthy, but SANE.
So, what can a girl (or guy) do when they’re physically forced to slow down? You concentrate on what you can — the healthy habits you do have control over. One of those: NUTRITION! (Literally, healing through food. Not complaining here.)
We all know bodies are made in the kitchen anyway (that’s not just a saying – I promise). You can literally change the entire composition of your body (body fat & all) by controlling what you put in your mouth.
In order to stay on track, like most everyone, I have to find creative ways of making healthy dishes (and my guilty pleasures, obvi).
One dish that caught my eye yesterday was SkinnyTaste‘s baked chicken dish (chicken thigh dish, because well, this girl likes her dark meat – get your head out of the gutter). I changed this recipe up just a little though because I’m not a HUGE fan of Balsamic — but I definitely still worked it in.
The best part about this recipe: it was so dang easy! Literally, I just chopped the veggies, combined together with the chicken, sprinkled the spices on top & BAM.
Check out the ingredients I used & how to cook below, so you can try it too — preferably on an “easy night” where you’re time crunched or energy drained. Perfect for you mama’s or working chicks/dudes.
Servings: 2-4 (depending who you’re feeding – I ate one piece of chicken + veggies, & it was a perfect meal)
*The above serving stats are based on 1 thigh + vegetables. Double if you’re eating 2.
*These ingredients are based on how I cooked my dish.
- 4 (4 oz each) boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (I would recommend Pink Himalayan Salt – I didn’t have any)
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- cooking spray
- 10 medium asparagus, ends trimmed, cut in half
- 1 red bell peppers
- 1 sweet white onions, chopped in skinny slits
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Garlic powder to taste (I just sprinkled over – didn’t measure because I have a love affair with garlic)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano or thyme
- 2 leaves fresh sage, chopped (I never knew I loved sage so much – my new fav spice)
*Original recipe called for sugar. I did NOT use sugar & I recommend you don’t either!!
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Spray cookie sheet with PAM cooking spray (or melted coconut oil)
- Chop all veggies
- Season chicken with salt & pepper
- Combine in large bowl, all veggies & chicken
- Season with garlic powder, pepper, fresh rosemary, oregano & fresh sage. Sprinkle extra virgin olive oil over top. Mix.
- Spread on cookie sheet. Be sure veggies don’t touch chicken because they’ll steam, not roast (new fun fact I learned!)
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinaigrette over chicken + veggies on cookie sheet. Spread over top so it’s evenly distributed.
(Note: this was MORE THAN enough Balsamic – the chicken and veggies would have been soaked TOO MUCH after cooking if I had used the recommended amount.)
Eat up ya’ll! Enjoy.